Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Gregg accepts Commerce nomination

U.S. Sen. Judd Gregg (R-NH) has accepted a nomination to become the next Secretary of Commerce. Gregg said yesterday that he decided to accept the post only after Gov. John Lynch (D-Hopkinton) said he would a Republican to fill Gregg’s seat.

Here are some excerpts from Gregg’s press release:

“Today, I have been nominated by President Obama to serve in his administration as Secretary of Commerce, and I want to thank the President for this extraordinary opportunity. I have accepted this post, and the call to help address the momentous and significant economic challenges facing our nation.

“Kathy and I want to thank the people of New Hampshire for affording me the privilege to serve them in the U.S. Senate for the past 16 years. It has been an honor for both of us to work on behalf of Granite Staters and represent their priorities in Washington, and to do our part to help make our state a better place to live and raise a family. I also thank my Senate colleagues for their leadership, support and friendship as we continue to work toward solutions to help address families’ concerns about their retirement savings, their homes, and their futures.”

He also said:

“It is my goal to help the President put America back on the path to prosperity. This is not a time for politics—it is a time to lead. We must put aside partisanship and ideologies and govern effectively so that we can pass onto our children and our grandchildren a government that works and a nation that is strong.

No comments: