Monday, March 16, 2009

Shea-Porter decides against U.S. Senate run

U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter (D-NH) has announced that she will not run for the United States Senate in 2010.

Shea-Porter’s colleague, U.S. Rep. Paul Hodes (D-NH), decided in early February that he would run for the Senate. With Shea-Porter, deciding not to enter the race the question now becomes whether or not another Democrat will enter the contest or will Hodes have the field all to himself.

Here are some statements on Shea-Porter’s decision:

Hodes: “I have the utmost admiration and respect for Congresswoman Carol Shea-Porter. I see her stand up and fight for New Hampshire every day, serving alongside her in the House of Representatives. I am honored to call her my colleague and my friend and know she will continue to serve the people of New Hampshire with honor and distinction as their Congresswoman.”

NH GOP Chairman John H. Sununu: “I extend my condolences to Carol Shea-Porter. Although she is putting on a positive public face, I know that she must be very disappointed at having been forced out of a primary contest with Paul Hodes - especially since she probably would have beaten him.”

NHDP Chairman Ray Buckley: "Carol Shea-Porter is the best to ever represent the first district in Congress. Since her election back in 2006, no one has fought harder to protect working families, veterans and our children. She is an independent leader, and has a long record of providing real results for her constituents.

"With so much at stake, the people of the first district can take comfort in knowing that Carol Shea-Porter is their Congresswoman. I know she will continue to fight every day to better the lives of the people she serves."

No comments: